Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas


The Grinch Who Stole Christmas is one of my very favorite Christmas movies. Unfortunately I have read two articles this past week in which the premise of this movie actually happens! Of course not to the extent of stealing a whole town's Christmas gifts, Christmas trees, and food, but on a smaller scale where robbers actually stole gifts intended for needy children.

I am saddened that even in the Christmas season, people are so heartless to go and steal presents from children who will probably not get a single gift this Christmas. In our culture, it seems we place a high priority on gifts. Do children really need all those toys? Will they ever play with all the gifts they were given? What if we scaled back a little, bought only a few presents for our kids, and placed more importance on giving to others and service this season?

Kids deserve the joy of opening a few presents on Christmas and they should feel the generosity of others. Maybe I'll scale back this year and see if they even notice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've also heard of people making their kids "earn" their Christmas gifts through certain behaviors and good school grades. I don't know about that concept...somehow it isn't working for me.

Ali said...

I've scaled back a bit this year just because it all seems so excessive, but since I don't really buy toys throughout the year, I don't mind getting some fun stuff as well as more practical gifts that they 'need'. But yes, good message!