Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Potty Training Tips

I have had both of my older daughters successfully (day) potty trained right around the age of 2, but my biggest challenge is coming up....my third and final is very stubborn, opinionated, and a little behind in some of her developmental milestones.  She turns two this weekend, and I have a sinking feeling that I will be buying diapers from costco for a few more months at least.  Bummer!  I'm always so glad when the diaper days are over. 

My personal theory to potty training is to start talking about it, get out the little kids toilet so they can explore and play with it a little, and getting them used to the idea from about 18 months.  Let them roam outside without a diaper so they can learn to correlate the feeling of peeing with the words that you will use to identify it.  Yes, it can be messy, and yes I've even found a few logs with the naked roaming method!  Then around 2, get them excited about it, try underwear, and see how things go for a few hours at a time when you're home.  My method is a long drawn out process but I find that if you catch them when they are at the age where clapping and praise are driving forces for their actions, instead of waiting until they figure out that they can be defiant and do the opposite of what you want, its a better match.  This OregonLive article has some more tips.....anyone want to share successful potty training methods?  I have a feeling my old tricks won't work with my last child.....I need some pointers this time around!

1 comment:

Jen Howick said...

I absolutely HATE potty training. It's one of the worst things a parent can go through, I've decided! I think I FINALLY have my 3rd child potty trained, only one more to go. whew! I did hear that the perfect age for a boy is 3 yrs and 4 months and that is exactly when my 1st potty trained completely.